In what year was an uninhabited island located 1,404 miles away from the nearest human discovered?
The Island was discovered by Jean-Baptiste Charles Bouvet de Lozier on January 1, 1739. Its position in the ocean was misstated, however, and it wasn’t until 1808 that the Island was seen by human eyes again, when it was re-discovered by James Lindsay.
Bouvet Island (Norwegian: Bouvetøya,previously spelled Bouvet-øya) is an uninhabited subantarctic high island and dependency of Norway located in the South Atlantic Ocean at 54°25.8′S 3°22.8′ECoordinates: 54°25.8′S 3°22.8′E.
The island was first spotted on 1 January 1739 by Jean-Baptiste Charles Bouvet de Lozier, after whom it was later named. He recorded inaccurate coordinates and the island was not sighted again until 1808, when the British whaler captain James Lindsay named it Lindsay Island. The first claim of landing, although disputed, was by Benjamin Morrell.
In 1825, the island was claimed for the British Crown by George Norris, who named it Liverpool Island. He also reported Thompson Island as nearby, although this was later shown to be a phantom island. The first Norvegia expedition landed on the island in 1927 and claimed it for Norway. At this time the island was named Bouvet Island, or “Bouvetøya” in Norwegian. After a dispute with the United Kingdom, it was declared a Norwegian dependency in 1930. It became a nature reserve in 1971.
Cape Circoncision (Norwegian: Kapp Circoncision) is a peninsula on the north-western edge of subantarctic Bouvetøya. The small peninsula was sighted by the French naval exploration that was led by Jean-Baptiste Charles Bouvet de Lozier on 1 January 1739, which day is the Feast of the Circumcision and so it is named. The cape provided the location for the base-camp of the 1928-29 Norwegian expedition.