Which U.S. president officially gave the White House its current name?
President Theodore Roosevelt officially gave the White House its current name in 1901.Prior to that, the building was known variously as the “President’s Palace,” the “President’s House,” and the “Executive Mansion.”
Theodore Roosevelt Jr. October 27, 1858 – January 6, 1919 was an American statesman, author, explorer, soldier, naturalist, and reformer who served as the 26th President of the United States from 1901 to 1909. As a leader of the Republican Party during this time, he became a driving force for the Progressive Era in the United States in the early 20th century.
Roosevelt also served as honorary president of the American School Hygiene Association from 1907 to 1908, and in 1909 he convened the first White House Conference on the Care of Dependent Children
Building on McKinley’s effective use of the press, Roosevelt made the White House the center of news every day, providing interviews and photo opportunities. After noticing the reporters huddled outside the White House in the rain one day, he gave them their own room inside, effectively inventing the presidential press briefing. The grateful press, with unprecedented access to the White House, rewarded Roosevelt with ample coverage.
Roosevelt was an enthusiastic singlestick player and, according to Harper’s Weekly, showed up at a White House reception with his arm bandaged after a bout with General Leonard Wood in 1905.